Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Seventeenth Posting

William Butler Yeats another sad poet well in the sense of his childhood. Yeats grew up very poor and lived a ruff life. At a young age he even tried to help with finances for his family. Yeats is another great poet.

"The Lake Isle of Innisfree" this is where I want to be a small island. I thought this poem was great. I really can image being on this island with nature and a cabin. He describes the sound of the "lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore" and how he can hear it on the pavement or the roadway. He even says "I hear it in the deep heart's core" like he can even hear the sounds of the water and nature within himself. What a fantastic feeling. I enjoyed reading this poem line to line.

I also enjoyed "The wild Swans at Coole" it is another poem that made me feel at one with nature. I see the autumn beauty all of the colors on the trees and the dried up leaves. "Under the October twilight the water mirrors a still sky;" can't you visualize the water very still and calm with just those few little ripples in it and the light of the moon and the sky reflecting off of it. He goes on to start talking about the swans. He describes how he sees the swans every time he comes and how there wings sound as they fly. He almost compares the swans to people and how they by sating their feelings and their hearts. At the end of the poem he states "Delight men's eyes when I awake some day To find they have flown away?" what a neat ending and such a true statement. He admired something so much and enjoyed it so much that one day it will be gone. It is almost like the saying you don't know what you have til it's gone. He didn't realize really how much he enjoyed their beauty until they weren't there anymore. I really liked the ending of this poem.

I enjoyed reading Yeats poetry. I admire him for his hard work, all the way up until he died he worked hard on his writings.

3 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Krista,

Some good insights and reactions in this post. I am glad you enjoyed Yeats, although he is not really one of my favorites. Good quotations from the poems you discuss.

-valerie- said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog on Yeats. One thing I found difficult about your blogs were the titles. I believe if you had titled them with the author's name, the work's title or maybe even something that had to do with the work it would be easier for people to look and see who you had written about.

Gloria Fletcher said...

I enjoyed Yeats as well. The feel of nature and scenery did come out in his poems.