Friday, June 15, 2007

Eleventh Posting

Well, "Ladies and Gentlemen" I always thought of this as what a person say when they are introducing someone at a show of some sort. It is a saying that is always said at entertainment events like baseball, wrestling, etc. This was the first thought I had when I read the title of the reading.

Well, according to this reading "Ladies and Gentlemen" refer to the rich and what are supposed to be proper. I guess in a sense there are some rich and proper people out there today, but there are a lot of rich improper people out there that don't know how to have good manners (Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, etc.). I really think it is funny how they separated people in this time and the bad part about it is that we as a society still do it. Like for example "among middle class men, the clearest social division was between those who had attended a public school (an elite boarding school) and those who had not. I think we still do this today don't we?

I would like to talk about Charlotte Bronte and how she was treated. The school teachers should have been people that were looked up too. Like now-a-days we would be a lot of stupid illiterate people if it were for our school teachers. I still think that school teachers are poorly paid for the job that they have to do, but I have never thought a teacher should be treated any worse than any other person especially by her employer. In the letter to her sister she is very unhappy with her life and situation. She say that there is a such thing as having beautiful around you but not being able to enjoy it. I think we all feel this way from time to time. She basically comes across as felling used and abuse.

I also think that it is horrible that as governess the women were cut off from their family and friends I am sure this made the situation even worse. I really think this was a difficult time for women along with a lot of different past times in society. I feel like women are just now starting to get a break from almost everything.

1 comment:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Krista,

Good opening to this posting, with your comments on the common use of "ladies and gentlemen" today and the different meaning in the Victorian era. After that, though, the posting tends to digress, into a collection of observations that don't form a cohesive whole.