Thursday, June 28, 2007

Nineteenth Posting

T.S. Eliot seemed like a descent guy. He grew up in a very wealthy and smart family. I believe that there was 3 U.S. Presidents and even a reverend in his family and also some Harvard Graduates. He also seemed to be a pretty religious man.

"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" is definitely not a love song, but more of a personal poem I think. The narrator is expressing his personal thoughts. He also experiences a lot of conflicts of his life. Throughout the poem he throws in a few religious points some of which include "But though I have wept and fasted, wept and prayed" and "I am Lazarus, come from the dead, Come back to tell you all..." He is speaking of fasting and praying which are both very religious topics to talk about. He also talks about Lazarus and he is stating that Jesus Raised from the dead yet he is not Lazarus. One of the parts of the poem that I liked was page 1195 lines 37-48 this reminds me of a conflict that the narrator is experiencing a midlife crisis. He is worried about the way that he looks, his hair, arms and legs. I think this section is funny I liked it because it reminds me of my parents. Lines 70-72 is when he is a bet depressed and lonely.

I enjoyed T.S. Eliot he seems to actually be one of the good guys. He actually doesn't seem to have so much drama in his life.

5 comments:

Nichole said...

I agree that this is not a love poem. I think that this poem is intended to have a lot deeper of a meaning that the author is trying to portray. He is showing his readers how people contuniously talk themselves into thinking that they are not good enough and they also dwell on their bad habits.

mbfertig said...

I definitely agree that this is far from a love poem! I thought your comment on his "midlife crisis" was interesting. I understood the poem as discussing confidence and how we are all the root of our lack thereof. He seems to be convincing himself that he is not good enough and therefore is losing his own confidence.

Jonathan.Glance said...

Krista,

Interesting group of comments and scattered thoughts about Eliot and his poems. I would have liked to have seen more focus and depth in your discussion, though.

Jared Hall said...

Krista,

I found your thoughts to be quite interesting and I really enjoyed reading your blog. I found your "midlife crisis" comment very interesting as well. I felt like you looked deeply at this poem and you did a great job.

Caitlin said...

Like everyone else on your comment page, I, too, did not think this to be a love poem! I felt like the author was attempting to trick the reader into reading a poem on "light material" and hide it under a supposed love story. However, there were other issues the writer actually wanted to write about. You made some great points in your blog!