Thursday, June 21, 2007

Fourteenth Posting

Gerard Manley Hopkins is a very interesting poet. Hopkins shows in his poetry that he was surrounded by religion most of his life.

In the poem "God's Grandeur" he shows a relationship between God and nature. "It will flame out, like shining from shook foil," this is describing how the world is growing to expand with God like a sense of a leaf or tinsel. The poem also shows God and his control and protection when it talks about the "Holy Ghost over the bent world broods" and "bright wings." These are both symbols of protection.

Well, the poem "I Wake and Feel the Fell of Dark. Not Day" is really out there. This poem is very dark and weird. I really am not sure if I understand it completely, but I feel that he is kind of talking about hell. I feel that he may be expressing a time that he was upset or depressed. This poem just really scares me in a sense the way that it is worded.

Hopkins is a very odd poet. I can't really decide whether I like his writings or not. In a sense I really don't know what to say about him.

5 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Krista,

This posting is somewhat more successful than most of your previous ones. You tend to show better focus on the text, and I am very glad to see you quoting from the poem "God's Grandeur." I would have liked to see more analysis of that poem, though, rather than additional generalizations about the other sonnet.

Wanda said...

Of all of the background information provided on any author, our texts description of Hopkins use of " . . . compound words, new coinages, unexpected rhymes, and startling distortions of syntax" may be the understatement of the century. "No wonder of it: sheer plod makes plough down sillion / Shine, and blue-bleak embers, ah my dear, / Fall, gall themselves, and gas gold-vermilion" (12-14). I find it impossible to grasp his meaning and beyond this the combination of words seems just that to me...no meaning...just words that he liked together. Whether, as you suggest, Hopkins personally was odd, I do find his poetry odd.

Gloria Fletcher said...

I could barely get through his works without a headache!

Jared Hall said...

Krista,

I enjoyed reading your ideas on Hopkins and I think that you did a very good job with this blog.

Robert Adamson said...

Krista,

I think you did a better job anylizing in this blog, and you made some good comments on "God's Grandeur". I also find Hopkins a little hard to understand sometimes. Good job Krista!