Thursday, June 14, 2007

Ninth Posting

I like how Elizabeth's introduction starts off "Elizabeth Barrett Browning was the most celebrated woman poet if the Victorian era" this immediately caused me to want to read on about her. I really think that the childhood that she had to live was difficult for the fact that she had lung disease. Her father seemed like a jerk. He didn't want what was good for his children. She needed to be living in better conditions in order to fight off her disease. Even though she had some problem she still accomplished a lot she wrote "The Battle of Marathon" at twelve. I think that the story of her and Robert is great. I think it is awesome that he was younger than her, but they were both so old. The started out as friends and ended up married. A great point was made about how the verse novel "Aurora Leigh" was the first poem in English in which the heroine, like the author, is a woman writer, "Aurora Leigh" rewrites Wordworth's "The Prelude" from a female point of view. I think this is great women's power. I love when women accomplish something good and it is actually acknowledged.
"Aurora Leigh" is extremely long. I really like the section BOOK 2 (woman and artist) "The whole creation in my little cup, And smiled with thirsty lips before I drank" what a visual. I really like the wording that she uses in her writing. This is really a strong statement. It really made me think. She uses very good imagery and comparison to explain how she feels about her life and what she has accomplished.
I really don't know how I feel about Elizabeth Browning I really don't care for her father and his care for his children, but I am glad she went on to become a great woman and made sure that people knew that.

1 comment:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Krista,

I am glad you found this author interesting. In your blog postings, though, I would like you to skip over the generalizations from the biographical notes in our anthology and get directly to analyzing the poems; if you do so, perhaps you will go deeper in your discussion. You tend to make one or two good observations about the poems you mention, but don't provide textual evidence to illustrate or support your points and you don't follow up your initial observation with any deeper discussion. I would like to see you improve your postings for the final 10.